Friday 16 June 2017

Task 37: Attend a tai chi class

According to the Mayo Clinic's website, "Originally developed for self-defense, tai chi has evolved into a graceful form of exercise that's now used for stress reduction and a variety of other health conditions. Often described as meditation in motion, tai chi promotes serenity through gentle, flowing movements".  I'd come across it when I worked at VSO and we were offered - as an enlightened form of staff development - the opportunity to have a taster session of this or a number of other activities.  I can't now remember why I plumped for tai chi, but I do recall enjoying it and also being impressed by the physical and mental poise of the young female instructor. It was more physically demanding that it appeared at first sight and required a substantial degree of focus to get all the movements in the correct order. The sight of literally thousands of Chinese men and women practising it at sunrise in the parks in Beijing - and wherever Peter and I went in China - was unforgettable.

This memory floated to the surface when I was looking at the health-related activities available locally. Yoga was an option but I really dislike downward dog, salute to the sun and the warrior pose - all of which seem to crop up at some stage, whichever class you attend. Tai chi had the advantage of not requiring any equipment and of stretching one's mental abilities as well as improving general flexibility. In principle I could do it anywhere, any time. Going to a class and learning how to do it properly - and continuing to practise it into my dotage - seemed a good idea, and definitely worth including in my list of challenges.


Finding a local class for beginners which didn't involve signing up to a long course took a while, but one of the Nordic walking tutors mentioned the Bradbury centre in Kingston. When I googled it, I found it slightly depressing that it was described as "Kingston's only dedicated centre for active seniors", as that isn't how I see myself. Yet. Still, it had a beginner's tai chi class on Friday afternoons - as well as a more advanced class - and when I rang to ask about taking part, there was a spare space.


As usual I got lost finding my way there (I really must tackle task 13, Mastering the google map app). When I found the centre, I was pleasantly surprised by its relaxed and sunny atmosphere, and by the other activities it has on offer. Everyone was very friendly and I recognised one of the other participants - Pat (second from the left in the photo below) - from an exercise class we both attended last year. I had the opportunity to watch the advanced class for ten minutes or so and was impressed to find out afterwards that they practise a sequence of 64 movements, compared to the 8 that the beginners aim to memorise and master.


The Chinese music was soothing and the doors were open to the garden area, where the flowers were in full bloom and the sun was shining. As Jean led us through the various movements, gently correcting any mistakes to ensure that we were all in balance and in harmony with one another, it felt like a wonderful way to spend a Friday afternoon.

Jean, and everyone in the class, very kindly agreed to let me take a photo of them for this blog - including one member who wouldn't usually allow herself to be photographed, but was willing to on this occasion given the two charities (Beating Bowel Cancer and Arthritis Research UK) that will be benefiting from my year of challenges:


Jean in the centre of the group
I very much enjoyed the class and plan to carry on attending. It's early days, but on the basis of the session today I would recommend it as a way of exercising the grey cells as well as the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment