Sunday 4 June 2017

Task 34: Do the 10km Shooting Star Chase Sunrise Walk

For many years I've done voluntary work for the Shooting Star Chase Children's Hospice but I've never been remotely tempted to take part in their annual Sunrise Walk. The name says it all - you have to get up well before dawn to take part and as it takes place in June, that means about 3am. I'm definitely not a morning person and I'm quite happy to sleep through the entire event. (Thinking about it, I'm not a night owl either. My peak times seem to be 11am and 3pm - perfect for cappuccino and afternoon tea.)

It therefore seemed appropriate to include this in my list of challenges, as staggering out of bed at 3am was as daunting a prospect as walking the 10km. Or so I thought, but I did something to my knee a few weeks ago and have been munching ibuprofen and sporting an unfetching elasticated bandage since then.

I could have had longer in bed if I'd gone without breakfast. That was never going to happen, though I did make do with a banana, a large handful of walnuts and a chocolate biscuit instead of my usual porridge sprinkled liberally with chopped fruit and nuts. On the point of leaving, I decided a second chocolate biscuit might be wise, given the shock to my system. Can't be too careful...

The departure point was beside Ham House, so it could hardly have been more convenient, and the route was delightful - along the towpath to Teddington Lock, across Ham beside the Common, through Petersham and up to the Star and Garter hill in Richmond, then down via Water Lane to the riverside and back along the towpath past Petersham Meadows to Ham House. There were about 400 of us taking part, of whom roughly two-thirds were doing the 20km version, and before setting off we gathered in the dark for registration, safety briefing and warm-up exercises. At 4.30am we were ready to set off:


Interestingly I noticed the difference the Nordic walking had made to my fitness level, as I kept up a decent speed and overtook a lot of younger participants. On the other hand it may have had more to do with the lure of a cappuccino back home.

We were extremely lucky with the weather as it was a beautiful morning. The rain last night had freshened the air and although it was chilly to start with, it soon warmed up. There was a pleasant surprise at the top of the Star and Garter hill, as we were invited to go to the Richmond Hill Hotel for tea, coffee and "treats". I hadn't intended to stop but the thought of a coffee was irresistible and I was curious to see what the treats were. They turned out to be muffins, packets of sweets and Mars bars. Well, I had been feeling a bit faint as I scaled the hill, so a Mars bar seemed only sensible. Yum.

Then it was back outside and a very pleasant walk through Richmond, admiring the gardens and the famous view over the Thames, and down to the towpath. I was now on the home straight, the birds were singing and all seemed right with the world, or at least that little bit of it:


Another 40 minutes or so and I'd reached the finishing line. I can see why early risers insist that this is the best time of day, as it is lovely having so few people around and enjoying the tranquillity of the river and the meadows. There's also the feeling that you've already achieved quite a lot with the day, yet it's hardly even started. I should try it more often, particularly at this time of year and when the weather is good. Maybe not quite as early as 3am, though...


No comments:

Post a Comment