Wednesday 24 May 2017

Task 36: Go Nordic walking

Like most people, I had always thought Nordic walkers in Richmond Park looked daft. Why take ski poles and wear walking boots when you're basically going for a stroll? And that loud clicking and scraping of the poles on hard surfaces is pretty irritating. However my friend Pauline, who abounds in common sense, had done a Nordic walking course and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I thought it was worth a try.

Having completed a Better Bones course last year and been recommended the free Fit as a Fiddle Nordic walking course funded by the Kingston Health team, which was the one Pauline had done, I rang to ask about the possibility of taking part. The co-ordinator, Grace, was very helpful and when I explained it was one of my 60 challenges, she immediately decided to do what she could to squeeze me in. I hadn't realised that due to funding cuts, the next course was the very last one that would take place and I'm extremely grateful to Grace for finding space for me.

I'd assumed that the six week course - two hours every Tuesday morning - would solely involve walking, but the first hour each week was devoted to advice and guidance on healthy eating, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, tracking individual weekly targets for exercise and nutrition, and a discreetly managed weigh-in. At the end of the six weeks my progress wasn't sparkling. In fact I ended exactly where I had begun, both for weight and for waist measurement, but as that had encompassed a short holiday in Rye and various special dinners and lunches, it wasn't a bad result. Here are some of the photos of our group of twelve looking both daft and determined:

Warm-up and balance exercises
Mastering the velcro straps - surprisingly tricky
Tacey (in grey top) showing good technique
Uphill - Carolyn setting the pace
Pausing for breath


The six weeks passed in a flash and I thoroughly enjoyed every session, even though it wasn't until the very last one that I managed to synchronise arms, legs and poles - more or less. Grace was firmly encouraging with tips for weight loss (for those of us, including me, that needed them), Mark was an excellent instructor and Jane was a dedicated assistant. Here are the three of them, on our last day:

Mark, Grace and Jane
And here is the remains of our celebratory end-of-course lunch, which included the odd chip or three:


Over the six weeks I learned that Nordic walking provides a very effective cardiovascular workout, as well as improving general levels of fitness, balance and muscle control (abdominal and glutes). It's also sociable and a great way of getting fresh air in good company. Our entire group has decided to continue getting together every Tuesday morning in Richmond Park, equipped with poles and hiking boots, and we won't be alone. Thanks largely to the efforts of the now (sadly) defunct Fit as a Fiddle programme, the Park is dotted with similar groups, all looking more or less daft and not caring at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment