Saturday 31 December 2016

Task 11: Learn how to use the satnav

This may seem a doddle to most of you, but so far it’s always been Peter who uses the satnav and does the vast bulk of the driving.  I felt it was high time I got to grips with both, especially now that we have a car with a built-in satnav.  Previously it’s been a source of some friction, as our old Garmin packed up years ago and Peter was very reluctant to replace it.  After numerous failed attempts to use an app on his phone to get us from a to b, I researched options for alternatives to Garmin – which he’d never been happy with – and found that none of them had particularly good reviews.  We were still floundering with his phone and arriving late for lunches, dinners etc when the replacement of our car solved the problem.  Now all I had to do was learn how to use the new satnav.
I started by reading the instruction manual, which seemed reasonably clear.  Then it was time to settle down in the car and try entering destinations, flagging up favourites and deciding which features I was likely to want to use.  The weather was bitterly cold so I had to leave the engine running for a while to provide some warmth.  I didn’t expect to be there all that long but thought I should explain to our neighbour, Jane, that she needn’t worry if she saw me apparently slumped over the wheel.  She very kindly offered the loan of her teenage son, who would be able to sort it out for me within minutes.  Tempting, but I wanted to learn how to do it myself.  Besides, how difficult could it be?
Half an hour later, I was still trying to work out how to switch off the radio while leaving the satnav live and audible.  Eventually I was able to progress onto programming our home address, which was easy.  The next step was to add various addresses of friends who live some distance away, in Sussex and East Anglia. 
According to the instructions, it was essential to rename each of the destination addresses I wished to save, otherwise they would automatically be overridden as I entered new ones.  Fine – if I could find the elusive “rename” tab.  I never did, though the option of flagging them as favourites would apparently do the trick and that proved easier.  Should I also save the preferred route?  With my sense of direction I hadn’t the faintest idea whether the route I’d selected was for Sussex, East Anglia or somewhere completely different, so I decided I’d simply choose my route each time and not bother about pre-setting it.
After an hour muttering and cursing, I finally had all the destinations entered and saved.  As I was planning to drive to Cambridge the next day – one of my Facing the Fear tasks – it seemed sensible to check that the satnav was definitely working, as neither Peter nor I had used it yet.  I reversed out of the drive, into the road, and waiting for the voice to start issuing guidance.  Absolutely nothing.  Maybe I hadn’t gone far enough, so I drove down the road towards the Common.  Silence.  OK, time to upset it a bit and see if that worked, so I returned to the drive and set off in the wrong direction – a limited option, as we live in a cul de sac.  Happily as I neared the dead end, a voice kicked into action and urged me to take a U-turn when passable (I’ve since discovered it can’t pronounce “possible” or “Peterborough” correctly).  Bingo, job done and I could go back indoors to the bliss of central heating.
Since then, I’ve discovered it has a number of other useful features, such as showing the speed limit on the map and providing a snapshot of key information on a little display beside the speedometer.  Interestingly its assessment of the fastest route doesn’t take account of obstacles such as the level crossing in North Sheen, which can be shut for 10 minutes at a time, nor the awful roundabout with fast-moving traffic and limited visibility a little further on – definitely a route to be avoided.  Nonetheless I found it a huge help negotiating the North Circular and am so glad I can now use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment